Amal Elsana Alh’jooj
“Feminism is your way of looking at life, drawing from your own experience, from your own narrative, from your own values, from your own religion. As women in traditional communities, we have the right to decide on our feminism.”
Amal Elsana Alh’jooj is AJEEC-NISPED’s Director of North American Relations. She previously served as the organization’s Co-Executive Director and was the original founder of AJEEC (the Arab-Jewish Center for Equality, Empowerment and Cooperation).
At age 17, Amal Elsana Alh’jooj established the first Bedouin women’s organization. Today she is a leader in the Arab Bedouin community in Israel and a key figure in sustainable community development, as well as a significant shaper of public opinion.
A graduate of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Israel) and McGill University (Canada), Amal is currently studying for her doctorate at McGill. She resides in Montreal.
Amal is the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including:
- Nominated as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate within the framework of the “One Thousand Women Submissions Project” (2005)
- Human Rights Award, New Israel Fund UK (2012)
- Victor J. Goldberg IIE Prize for Peace in the Middle East, together with her AJEEC-NISPED Co-Executive Director, Vivian Silver (2011)
- Ben-Gurion University of the Negev’s Spitzer Prize for Excellence and Innovation in the Field of Social Work
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s Solomon Bublick Prize in recognition of her long-standing activism on behalf of the Bedouin community in Israel
- Chosen by one of Israel’s leading publications, “The Marker,” as one of the 101 most influential people in Israel (2010)
- Lady Globes “Career Woman of the Year Award” (2003)
- Keynote speaker at Goldman Sachs’ Global Leaders Institute (2008)
- Hartford, Connecticut (USA) proclaimed November 7th “Amal Elsana Alh’jooj Day” (2008)
- Quote sourced from an article featuring Amal in the Telegraph (UK): “A Bedouin’s Story: Nomadic Women Can be Feminists Too” (November 2013)
- New Israel Fund UK video profiling Amal in recognition of being awarded the Human Rights Award (November 2013)
- Aljazeera Livestream, “Israel’s Unrecognized: the Proposed Eviction of Bedouins Under the Prawer Plan” (December 2013)
Languages: Arabic, Hebrew, English.
View Amal’s LinkedIn profile here.